Friday, July 18, 2014

Food Calories......They Add Up Fast.

Fresh off into the honeymoon phase, I couldn't wait to post on my new favorite blog! I realize as the honeymoon phase wears off that I will potentially space out the posts more, but I just can't help it. It's so new and fresh and I have a bazillion things to tell you.

Ok, so a bazillion is kind of an exaggeration, but just only a little.

It's like looking through a kaleidoscope and trying to pick out all your favorite colors and designs. What direction do we even start in????

Eating. You can really eat that is the title after all. Eating is the foundation of any health or weight loss. I don't care if you are exercising like the people on the biggest loser, if you are filling yourself up with junky food all day, every day, the hard work you are doing is a waste of your time.

Here is an example. .......and yes......I really did eat all that.

My normal day 10 months ago.

BREAKFAST
Egg McMuffin (300)
Egg McMuffin (300) by one get one free McEatALot
Hash Brown (150)
Diet Coke (0)

LUNCH
2 Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets (580)
Large Serving of Chips of some kind (200-300)
Little Debbie Brownie or other snackcake (210)
Diet Coke (0)

MID-AFTERNOON BORED SNACK
Peanut M&M's (250)

DINNER
Taco Salad - (800)
A huge helping mainly comprised of 80/20 ground beef, LOTS of cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips. Very LITTLE lettuce or veggies.

EVENING BORED SNACK
Dairy Queen Small Chocolate Extreme Blizzard (640)

Pretty Shocking huh?
Considering a normal healthy person should be on roughly an 1800 - 2000 calorie lifestyle.... I think I was slightly out of control. The above combinations come out to about 3430.

For one day.

Crazy right?

It really is shocking when you start putting it all down. You know 3500 calories is 1 lb of fat right? So it was no wonder my scale kept climbing.

Did you notice my bored snacks? How often do we eat because of reasons other than hunger? Occasions, emotions, holidays, or my biggest culprit....... boredom. We all do it. Now, I do still eat for some of these, after all, this is the rest of my life, but it's about balance.

Try writing down all of your food calories for a week, shoot, even for a couple of days. Or try an app like MyFitnessPal (which I am no way affiliated or am getting paid to tell you that). It is a very easy, user friendly app that had a ton of things already in it. So its mainly search and hit enter or scan the bar code of the item. Easy Peasy!. You will be shocked how much you are really eating even if you feel like what you are specifically eating is small in portions. (scjones) is my MFP username. So, friend me and we can be "buddies".

My Goal this week is drink more water and less soda. Want to join me on this goal? Am I giving up pop from this week on. NOPE. But, I am going to try and limit myself to one a day. Diet, Regular, whatever your love is, try to fill in the days gaps with water and then reward yourself with your favorite at the end of the day. Or, for every bottle of water you drink, you can have a can or bottle of your preferred drink. It isn't about loving water at this point. It's about becoming accustomed to it, making it a habit.

Keep Trucking along......You are doing great!




1 comment:

  1. That is funny that blogged about the water today!!! Yesterday, I purposed in my heart that I would begin that journey (again) today....so yes, I am up for the challenge and I will blog in the app every glass of water that I drink.

    ReplyDelete